Enhance your career with the Master of Science in Financial Mathematics. Join a top-ranked program that prepares you to lead financial industries across the globe.
Take your career to the next level with a modern and multidisciplinary approach to quantitative finance. Learn the theory, deepen your programming expertise, and solve applied problems with cutting-edge tools used across the industry. Evolve your toolkit through a curriculum of theory and application, covering modern portfolio theory, algorithmic trading, machine learning, and more.
In the Master of Science in Financial Mathematics (MSFM) program, we are addressing a rapidly changing industry by providing full-time students with an accelerated, five-quarter curriculum. Evening courses and flexible registration allow part-time students to progress at whatever speed fits their needs. Along the way, you will develop relationships with our large alumni network, UChicago faculty, our industry partners, and dedicated career-development specialists.
We invite you to learn more about how the Master of Science in Financial Mathematics can help you advance your professional trajectory at a premier intellectual destination.
In the Financial Mathematics Program (FinMath) at the University of Chicago, we’re addressing a rapidly changing industry by providing a program that meets the needs of both students and the market. As a Master of Science in Financial Mathematics candidate, you’ll be equipped with a toolkit of programming experience, statistics, data analysis, and risk management – and the opportunity to enhance your courses in real-time with an employer project lab. Take your career to the next level with a modern and multidisciplinary approach to quantitative finance.
• Solid foundation in mathematics (multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and probability) and basic programming skills
• Candidate statements
• Three letters of recommendation
• Video statements
• Transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended (unofficial copies accepted at time of application)
Career Development in the Financial Mathematics Program
In the Master of Science in Financial Mathematics (MSFM) at the University of Chicago, our Career Development Office helps you channel your technical and quantitative finance training into a robust career exploration experience. In just over a year, you’ll leave our program with highly sought-after market skills and employer connections that will launch you into the next stage of your professional journey.
Customized Career Support
- Industry Perspective In-Residence (IPR): connect with experts for industry advising, coaching, and workshops. Past residents have included leadership from investment management firms and Ph.D. candidates in Economics at the University of Chicago.
- Project Lab: with a team of peers, work on a research question for an employer partner – gaining practical experience and networking opportunities. Past clients have included the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Abbot Downing – A Wells Fargo Business, Ernst & Young, and Mizuho Bank.
- Tailored career exploration services: from recruiter events to career workshops to individualized appointments, our team will provide you with the support needed to take the next step in your career.
Master of Science in Financial Mathematics alumni make up a worldwide network of leaders in the quantitative finance field, working at top firms such as:
- Bank of America
- CME Group
- Goldman Sachs
- IMC Financial Markets
- Morgan Stanley
- Neuberger Berman
- State Street